Sunday, December 31, 2017

Be Careful What You Wish For


… for you will surely get it – in spades.

I wanted a kitty to keep Sneezy company. Remember the cats from the house behind mine that I told you disappeared after a thunderstorm, and finally showed up again a few days later? One was pregnant. Then she wasn’t. She was spending all her time at my house, and didn’t seem to want to go home any more, so I put food out for her. Today, four little wild cats showed up in my back yard, and they look just like her.


I named one Ghost. She is the meanest little thing, white as a snowflake, except for a patch of gray on her butt, and her tail. She hisses and growls, and spits and scratches, and bites and carries on like a poltergeist (05/28/07 - Ghost finally got over it. She's very sweet and loveable now).
Another one has been named Shy. She’s white with gray patches all over. She's the runt, and the other kitties don't play with her (05/28/07 She wasn't getting enough to eat, so I had to bottle feed her. The poor thing was starving, and chewed the nipple right off the bottle in about two minutes. She's doing much better now).
One is an explorer. I’m thinking of calling it Columbus, but that may change when I discover its gender. He's roly poly chubby, and the fuzziest of the four.

The fourth one looks just like Shy, except she has a white tip on her tail. Her name is Champ, for the sister of one of my husband's friends, a little girl who wears a baseball cap backwards, and loves sports.

I put down a glass quiche dish with a fish dinner in it for them, big enough that they can all eat simultaneously. Mama Cat ate every bite, so I gave them more. A few minutes later, I looked in on them, and all four were up in the dish, chowing down, with Mama Cat supervising. They are in my house, protected from Old Yeller – the yellow feral cat that hangs around sometimes, all the neighbor’s dogs, the weather, and anything else that gets kitties (05/28/07 - The last time I saw Old Yeller, he had a huge patch of skin hanging off his neck. That's been quite a while ago, and I think he went off somewhere and died).


I went to the neighbor’s house to let them know the situation, and they said it isn’t their cat (a likely story). I cannot keep all these kitties, and I will not take them to the shelter. In addition, I have a black kitten on hold for me as soon as it’s weaned. And another neighbor is trying to get me to take a yellow and white kitty they adopted, and decided they don’t want. I can't take it! To top it all off, Sneezy doesn’t like any of them.


Now I'm off to wish to win the lottery.


21 comments:

  1. Oh man! I've never heard of so many cats appearing at the same time at the same place. Sneezy needs a buddy but not a whole crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:17 AM

    SW, as the saying goes. When it rains it pours. Glad you found one..err a few that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey CD, I'm on my way over.

    Steve, have insomnia tonight? You're up awfully late, aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:16 AM

    I'm up early. At the moment, it's just a little after eight in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In that case, good morning, Steve. Hope you have an awesome day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Often, when I get what I wish for it turns around and bites me in the ass. Story of my life.

    Lord, girl, it's raining cats at your house. Poor little Sneezy probably can't make heads nor tails of it all. Good luck getting them all sorted out and squared away -- and with finding an actual companion for Sneezy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes - you know now that you've started feeding them, they will all adopt you and be part of your family. That happened with my grandmother way back when - dog was scared (probably abused) and was sleeping under her then creaky porch; grandmother started feeding the dog and she stayed around. Since this was at the summer home, she ended up taking her back to Columbia with her and she lived a very long life with my grandmother - I wish I could say Lady died of natural causes but she didn't - came home from church one day after a storm and found her across the room dead - apparently lightening came through the chimney (Lady loved sleeping near the fireplace) and threw her across the room. But grandmother had had her about 12-15 years at that time so she had a long life.

    But in your case, yes when it rains it pours. But you are on the mend now, even though it's not what you wanted (only wanting one to keep Sneezy company, you get a whole houseful) but you will be fine. I have a feeling this is the thing you needed to turn around - but please find a different vet - one who is understanding of everything that has been going on - E :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, SJ. I have a feeling I'm going to need all that luck.

    No, no, no, Elysabeth. There is no way I'm keeping all these cats! They're adorable at this age, but they become big cats, and cats can live a very long time (my sister had a cat who lived to be 26!) In such a case, they would probably all outlive me.

    I'm sorry to hear of Lady's demise. That must have broken your grandmother's heart. I didn't know lightening would come down a chimney like that. I know computers are lightening magnets, though, and always unplug mine when the weather is bad.

    Oh, yeah, my old vet is history, toast, out of here (although he has one hell of a vet tech named Matt. I can't wait until he graduates and has his own practice. He will be my vet! I need to ask him when that will be.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Murphy's law at it's best! Good luck with it all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ebony Enchantress, is that you? Did Zeus make it through the pet food debacle okay?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whatever luck I can muster, it's all yours.

    BTW, we have that eerie synchronicity going on again. I wrote today's post (about being careful what you wish for) yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As SJ says, "it's raining cats." In my head, this is set to the music of "It's Raining Men."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, good for you! I wouldn't have been able to resist either. Some little angel knew exactly who'd make a good mommy for these kitties.

    Remind me to tell you the story of how one of our cats came to us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cats just know when they're on to a good thing. They can read, and you did advertise for one, after all ;)

    It'll be Sneezy's choice who gets to stay, I bet. She'll be interviewing them now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Little Bird, when was that song a hit? I've heard it a couple times on TV, but don't ever recall hearing it on the radio.

    Oh, hush, m.g. I refuse to be their mommy. I'm giving them food and shelter for a while, and that's it. Really. I'm not keeping them. In fact, I was thinking of flying one or two out to your house. I would love to hear how your cats came to you. You're reminded. Now is a good time, I think.

    You're a fungi, Rom. I mean fun guy. I did do that, didn't I? What was I thinking??? If Sneezy has her way, they'll all be gone tomorrow. She hisses at them, the spoiled brat. She gets really mad when Mama Cat gets near her food. Can't say that I blame her, since Mama Cat doesn't leave her any.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Val! I didn't know you'd come back. So happy to see a new post from you, but sympathetic about the whole new family! Vets are so expensive (even for healthy cats) that there's no way you could keep 'em all, and nobody would blame you for trying to place them in good homes. I know you'll see this through, because you are one of the finest friends of animals on this planet! Maybe Sneezy will pick one of these guys as a pal, and perhaps the black kitty could go to another home? Who knows what will happen, huh?

    It's just lovely to see you posting again. Even if it's not for a long time again, know we all enjoyed it. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes he did! He's just fine and I'm very grateful. I do hope they get this situation taken care of quickly. So many animals...it just breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you, Aaron. I'm glad someone understands. Sneezy certainly doesn't. She's being such a brat.

    I'm even feeding Old Yeller now. Poor guy reminds me of the cat in The Inhabited World. He showed up the other day with about half the skin torn off his neck, so I'm guessing a dog may have gotten hold of him. I just want to make it a little easier for him while he recuperates. It's hell to be down and out and feel like no one gives a damn, yanno?

    He won't let anyone get near him except Mama Cat. I came home late last night for a minute, and the two of them were lying out on the curb by the street, making out. The shame! I guess even Mama Cat goes for Bad Boys.

    Enchantress, I'm glad Zeus is okay! I'm grateful for every single pet that didn't have to suffer that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, Saucy. That photo is practically famous. I've seen it in probably 50 different places on the net. Looks like she was at a music festival.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, so many. Now you aren't going to be the cat lady are you? LOL Everyone says thats who I am going to be one day. An old cat lady.

    I found your blog link on Absolute Write.

    Best of luck!

    UpSideDownGrl
    http://www.upsidedowngrl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome and appreciated, but spam and phishing are not. Comments containing links will not be approved.