Sunday, December 31, 2017

Bessie


As I sat watching the State of the Union Address tonight, and heard Bush call for energy reforms, I realized our nation owes me a debt of gratitude. Would you like to know why? Of course, you would. It’s because gas prices are falling. And the reason gas prices are falling is because we’re using less oil. And do you know why we’re using less oil? It’s because Bessie is laid up under the carport, and I haven’t needed to put any in her for a while. In case you didn’t know, if your Jeep has an oil leak, it’s just an indication that ya still got some.

I wanted a Jeep since I was three years old and my grandpa held me on his lap and let me drive his. He worked the pedals and I got to steer. 

Back about 1989 or so, I lived in Colorado, forty-five “summer” miles (winter miles are longer) from the place where I worked split shifts. My ex worked at the same place, but he worked the graveyard shift. When he got off work, he would come get me, drive back and drop me off, and twelve hours later, would return to pick me up. We only had the one car. One day he fell asleep somewhere he shouldn’t have been, and was six hours late picking me up. When he finally got there, I drove home, and when we arrived, I made him get out. I drove away in his car. That’s right. I drove away and never went back. I sold that car and bought another car, which led to another car, and eventually, to my Bessie.
Jimmy Puckett came to help us get out of the mud, and he got stuck, too.

Bessie turns eighteen this year. She doesn’t have air conditioning because she doesn’t wear a hardtop. She thinks her little bikini top is so much sexier. She’s a teenager; what can I say? I got Bessie in Vail, where summer temperatures average seventy degrees on a summer day. A week later, I moved to Phoenix, where summer temperatures make the deep fryer at Mickey D’s seem like a polar ice cap. I see James Goody coming with my Darwin Award now.

Bessie has had an adventurous life. She still brags about the climb to Holy Cross City, and the one where she high-centered on top of a mountain in a deluge, where she struggled for three days to free herself, only to slide sideways down the mountain, and be stopped by …TREE! Woo hoo! What a ride!



She has 200K on her, so she slacks off about every other month or so. She’s undergone a trainy transplant, a brain transplant, and has received a couple new clutches. She traded in the crappy carburetor that came installed for a shiny new Weber. Just about every part of Bessie has been replaced at least once, except for her engine.
A couple years ago, I spent a thousand dollars for some major surgery she needed. Then something else went wrong, and she laid up in the bed for weeks until I ran out of every bit of food and toilet paper I had in the house and had to rent a car just to go shopping. I changed her fuel filter and fuel pump, but neither were the problem. She had to be carried home piggyback. I got online and researched her symptoms, and listened to every motorhead with a suggestion. Except Johnny. Johnny is one of my oldest friends, and he's a bit of an expert, having worked at Coleman-Taylor Transmissions for a coon's age. But his suggestion was the same one he's been giving me for years. "Get a new car." Shoot, Bessie was only sixteen then. Here it is two years later, and she’s still kicking. Sort of.
I ignored Johnny, as usual, and changed Bessie's parts with the frequency of a teen-age girl dressing for a date, hoping she'd find something she felt beautiful in. We finally found something she liked, and made a short trip to the video store. As we were pulling in the lot, about to park, a small pick-up truck backed out from our left, without looking, and wham! He hit Bessie broadside, right in her driver's door. Of course, I was outraged at the idiot's appalling assault, and jumped out to see how badly she was hurt. Then the nitwit driver got out of his truck and - he seemed like a really nice guy. As I was getting his insurance information, I read "Jeep," and "'89," then I really saw his truck for the first time. A Jeep Comanche, the same age as Bessie. I imagine to her, that's the equivalent of tall, dark, and handsome.
Justin, that was the driver's name, mentioned he worked at a car dealership, so I figured he probably knew a little something about cars. We talked about the new engine he just put in the Comanche, and he knew to the tenth how many miles the old one had. He fixed the break in the flare over Bessie's wheel; it really had only come apart, and snapped easily back into place. The black paint from his bumper turned out to be nothing more than rubber, which pulled off like a band-aid, and the dent on Bessie's cheek was really not much more than a hickey. I think she liked it.

The Comanche was a little worse. He needed a new bumper. I'll bet it wasn’t easy to find, even if the guy did work at a dealership. 89 Comanche's are fairly rare. I thought Bessie was in love, so we decided to settle amicably by forgetting about it. But you know what? He never called her like he said he would, and I think it took something out of her.
She’ll get back on the road again one of these days. If you see an old red Wrangler with a bikini top that sounds like a Harley with a lawnmower chasing it, honk and wave to us.
.
.
.

18 comments:

  1. awwwwwww!!!!!!! that was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My compliments to dear Bessie and her loving mom. Wonderful tribute and photos of a great vehicle. Down south you can keep 'em longer, with no road salt, huh? She would've been rotted away by now up here.

    We had a Bessie once - a cool old Oldmobile station wagon that worked real well as a pretend horse. I would practice riding my oh-so-longed for "horse" on her left hood - it had a big rounded bump in it that seemed like a saddle to me. Bessie didn't last nearly as long as your girl has, but I still remember the fun I had on her as a kid. LOL.

    Thanks for a lovely way to start my morning, Val.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well pinch Me toes and box Me ears. A woman writing with knowing love about her car. There be damn few gals out there who understand the beauty of a machine like you do sweet Valentine. Me last van were named Bertha and we had a relationship like you an' Bessie.Me practically lived in her for about five years while getting around from town to town. Great memories. Thanks fer bringin them back.
    STOMP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:28 AM

    Great tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've ridden in Bessie, Leary. It's the absolute truth, isn't it?

    Hey Aaron, you know what your Olds reminds me of? An old Pontiac my mom had. It was white and turquise. The ugliest car in the world. Wish I had it now. I know you finally got a real horse, and I'm happy for you.

    Scary, are you an old hippie? Some of the things you write remind me of - me. I lived in my van with my Great Dane on the streets of L.A. once for three months. I totally know where you're coming from.

    Thanks, Eric. I love my Bessie. I really do. I even work on her myself, sometimes. I think the last part I changed out myself was the distributor. I can't put a new tailpipe on her until I can get a catalytic converter, and they're expensive. One of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4:15 PM

    Hey, SW, great post. We all have a ride we love. Mine is and 89 and I wouldn't give it up for nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:43 PM

    I have a love/hate relationship with Roxie, my 04 Wrangler.

    There's so much about her to love, especially on those first few top down days.

    But she's just the worst family car ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bessie's a keeper. That's fer sure. I had my hand over my heart while I was reading your blog and uttered, "I pledge alligance to the Bessie." If I ever get to drive again, I'm going out in search of my Bessie. Loved the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Steve, is your ride a Jeep?

    Oh, yeah, Dwight, Jeeps (at least Wranglers and CJ's) are death traps. You definitely don't need to have your kids in it. And there's no cargo room at all.

    Isn't it funny - I write about a car, and all the commenters are guys - and one girl who climed trees as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That Bessie is a trouper. Well, she would be; she's a girl.:) May she live another 100,000 miles.

    I just love hearing about all your adventures, Lesia.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey.

    I just got back from reading Lesia Valentine's work on Firefox News. Sure, cars are all right, but Lesia's ghost stories are a *real* ride.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gawd, it's embarrassing when I see my see my own spelling mistakes. I do know how to spell climbed, I really do. And turquoise, too. Sheesh.

    Now we see which ladies who visit here are the adventerous types. Did they take your license away from you CD? Was it the Gremlin? I can't recall exactly what kind of car it was, but I do remember about your wild rides in it. I'm a crazy driver, but it scares me to think you're on the road, and only 1500 miles away.

    Thanks for the good wishes for Bessie, SJ. I hope she lasts another 100K (or more!), too.

    Hey Little Bird. You're Camille today. Those ghost stories are true - just a couple of many. I always thought it was my mom who attracted spirits, but since she's no longer among the living, and it still goes on, maybe it was me. I'm just glad the ones who vist me now are of the Casper variety. Thanks for ths shout out. Now I'll shout: Y'all read Rom's book on ghost-hunting. It's really interesting and right on. And visit Little Bird Blue's blog, too.

    There's a TV show, I should have added to my list, Scary - Casper, the Friendly Ghost.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Southern, your psychic powers are beginning to scare everyone. I have never owned a Gremlin but I have always lusted after one. The epilepsy docs keep filing the paperwork to have my license revoked but the DMV won't do it. Go figure. ha ha. Don't worry. Haven't driven a day since the brain surgery. Everyone is safe in my neighborhood. Like I tell all my friends I take the biggest ride in town now - the city bus.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous10:34 AM

    89 Prosche.

    ReplyDelete
  15. CD, I can't begin to imagine what it's like to have so many catastrophic illnesses, and how much it must alter your life. You're a brave woman deserving of admiration.

    Oh, well, Steve, I don't blame you for hanging onto that! A Jeep is hardly in league with a Porsche. Is it a 911? Do they still make Porsches? I haven't heard of anyone having one in so long I can't even remember the last time I heard one mentioned. Just as a side note, the cops in Vail drive Saabs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous1:44 PM

    Yes, it's 911. The still make them, but they just don't look like the older classics. I couldn't afford to buy another if I wanted to. So, I hold on to my baby.

    ReplyDelete
  17. HAH, yes, I tweaked something on my settings somewhere on my dashboard (Before blogger I never would have conceived of such a sentence in the first person)...

    And I was Camille for a whole day. Which I still am, of course. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous8:56 PM

    Wow! Nice tribute! :) A nice ride too. We'll its really a concern for every owner to take good care and love the vehicle that you own.. I myself is a Jeep owner ( got her a new Jeep bikini top and other accessories just a week ago), I see to it that it is check regularly.. Thank god my beloved Jeep doesn't disappoint me..

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome and appreciated, but spam and phishing are not. Comments containing links will not be approved.