Sunday, December 31, 2017

Is Your Pet on a Lifetime Diet of K/D Now???

Is your pet now on a lifetime diet of k/d? Have you looked to see who manufactures it? Go look right now, and then call your veterinarian and tell him you are outraged that he’s supporting the very company that poisoned our pets!
I don’t want to sound ungrateful for my vet, because he did save Sneezy’s life (so far), but now I feel betrayed, and very, very afraid. The assistant at my vet’s office told me, “But it’s not on the list.” There were other brands not on the original list that are on it now. How do I know the next can I open won’t be just as poisonous as the original food that killed Catfish and sickened Sneezy? How do I know the can Sneezy already ate isn’t tainted? Is it possible that k/d is tainted as well, but there are no reports of it making pets sick or killing them, because they're already sick and no one will attribute it to k/d? At the very least, to prescribe food made by the same company is a huge conflict of interest! We should all ban together and insist our veterinarians pull all Menu Foods from their supplies, and find alternative foods – or only take our pets to vets who will! 

I’m waiting for a call back from my vet now. I want to know what’s special about k/d that it helps my cat’s kidney failure, and then figure out if I can incorporate it into food I cook for her myself. If anyone’s pet is on a different kidney diet – one not made by Menu Foods, please let me know!

Okay - the vet just called and argued with me about it, so I will pay him what I owe him and will be looking for a new vet. If anyone in the Memphis area has suggestions, please get in touch. btw, he said the kidney diet is low protein, so if anyone else plans to cook for their pets, that's what we need to keep in mind.


Update in 2017 - the vet was Horn Lake Animal Hospital. I would NEVER take one of my pets there again! I've tried almost every single vet within ten miles and the best, in my opinion, is Stateline Animal Hospital on Guthrie over by Baptist Desoto Hospital, off Airways.

Menu Foods Menu Foods Menu Foods Menu Foods Menu Foods Menu Foods Menu Foods Menu Foods Menu Foods Menu Foods Menu Foods Menu Foods Menu Foods

12 comments:

  1. http://www.hillspet.com/menu_foods/Menu_Foods_en_US.htm

    That link will give you the serial numbers involved.

    Also, can you switch to dry for the short term? This recall only applies to the canned, so if Sneezy will eat the dry, you can rest easier.

    (btw, one of mine's on z/d -- dry. They both hated the moist and I wound up throwing it out.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan, what's the z stand for?

    Regardless, I'm not giving another dime to the company that knowingly killed Catfish and poisoned Sneezy! I'll find an alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lord, this just gets worse and worse. It sounds like Sneezy's doing better, and I'm really glad to hear that. Will she eat dry food? I don't have cats so I'm not sure what they will and won't eat. Tuna? Chicken or turkey? There has to be a way to feed our animals that won't poison them. Good for you for sticking to your guns with the vet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother's cat refuses to eat cat food anymore. Just flat out refuses - so she buys him canned chicken and tuna, and canned salmon. He hasn't turned down a meal yet and she says that, costwise, it's the same as cat food. Something to keep in mind - and you'd be spoilin' Sneezy rotten... how many cats get real salmon?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kidney failure requires a low protein diet. Go here, read this:

    http://www.fabcats.org/crf.html

    I am researching alternative foods now, and will get back to everyone as soon as I learn of some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two other companies — Nestle Purina PetCare Co. and Hill’s Pet Nutrition Inc. — also voluntarily recalled some products made by Menu Foods as a precaution.
    Your pet is better off with dry food.
    I'll ask my daughter what they are recommending at her clinic. She said two dogs have died and they believe it was the recalled food responsible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I took Tink to the vet yesterday just to make sure she was okay(she was due for shots too) I spent a while in the office waiting, since I didn't have an appt. They had CASES of pet food, (bags too) and I think ALL of them were alpha/alpha sorts like k/d. I wondered about that food and if it was a generic for the stuff being recalled. I didn't ask about it though, as I was trying to keep Tink happy. The vet asst. told me that Purina had added stuff to be taken off the shelves (voluntarily I see) and she told me that this is JUST THE WET FOOD. The dry varieties haven't been researched yet. I am going to start feeding my dog food that I cook for her. Screw all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Get the advice from an animal nutritionist on what kind of foods to feed your pet. An all meat diet is NOT good for your animals. Dogs and cats are omnivores. If they are not getting a balanced diet you run the risk of more health problems.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:36 PM

    Hope your cat gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Richard Pitcairn's "New Complete Guide to Natural Health Care for Dogs and Cats" is a wonderful book with recipes for making both dog and cat food.

    We've made our dogs' food since they were puppies (they're now 7) and they are incredibly healthy and we have no worries about processed food.

    I haven't yet made the switch to preparing cat food - it's a bit more complex, but do-able -- I have a good friend who does it and she says once you get in the swing, it's not hard.

    For now we're feeding Innova Evo to our cats - and they're thriving on it.

    Hoping for good outcomes for as many pets as possible dealing with this food recall... it's very upsetting and scary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for all this information, everyone. Keep it coming. I'm sorry I can't spend more time here these days. I miss our regular chats.

    BTW, I've changed my mind regarding how I feel about not going off half-cocked and trying to forgive the people at Menu Foods. I hope they all burn in hell. Twice!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome and appreciated, but spam and phishing are not. Comments containing links will not be approved.