Sunday, December 31, 2017

Classifieds - "Kittens, Free to a Good Home" Needed

I need a new kitty. Sneezy misses Catfish, and she’s lonely.

There were some other cats, four, I think, that must live in the house behind mine, who were here constantly up until we had the thunderstorm last week, but now they seem to have disappeared. I shudder to think what may have become of them. I cannot go to the shelter and look for them, because if I found them, I would have to adopt them. I could never take one or two, and leave the others behind. I simply couldn’t. Nor can I afford to adopt them all, much less feed them, and pay for their vet bills. The good news is that the shelter in my town is a no-kill shelter. People who discard their pets like yesterday’s newspaper irk the shit out of me. When I adopt a pet, it’s for life, come hell or high water.


I’d like to get a solid black male, like Catfish. Someone told me the other day that Sneezy will know the difference.
Ya think? I didn’t know whether to laugh or be annoyed. I’m pretty sure when the term “dumb animal” was coined, it’s because they can’t speak, not because they aren’t smart. In many ways, I think they’re smarter than we are. I’m certain none of them ever voted for Dubya Bush.


I checked bulletin boards and the paper today for “kitties, free to a good home,” but there were none. I couldn’t believe people want from $20 to $$$ (hundreds) of dollars for a cat, when normally, you can’t give them away. It’s why I had Sneezy spayed before she ever had a litter. God bless the animal shelters, but I can’t go there. It reduces me to tears. When I fantasize about winning the Powerball, the first item on my list of things to get are all the animals at the shelter, and round-the-clock employees to help care for them. Of course, I’ll need a big ol’ plantation to house them all.


So anyway, if any of you in the Memphis area have friends who are trying to give away kittens, and they have a solid black male, would you please let me know? Sneezy will love it to pieces.

P.S. There's an update about low phospherous diets and binders in the comments here. Hopefully, there will be an update about Azodyl next week.
low phospherous binders Azodyl low phospherous binders Azodyl low phospherous binders Azodyl low phospherous binders Azodyl low phospherous binders Azodyl
UPDATE May 7, 2007: I ran into Matt this weekend. He's the vet tech who's sharp as a tack and truly cares, and he looked into Azodyl for me. He said it works well for animals with chronic renal failure as opposed to acute renal failure. So while it would not have helped Sneezy at the time she ate the tainted pet food, it will help her now. This is worth asking your vet about.

Someone came here by way of a Google search with the term "chronic renal failure cat makes clicking ticking sound." I know nothing about that, but I'd like to, if anyone can clue me in!

14 comments:

  1. There will be growling and hissing going on for a bit, but it doesn't last long. Once they get to know each other they will be fine.
    Good luck on the kitten search.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you posting again, L. I will keep my ears open for a kitty pal for Sneezy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:39 PM

    We have lots of cats running around the farms in the area. Keeps the mice population down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your search for a new companion for Sneezy. When you find him, he's going to have a wonderful home with you.

    Oh, some of those ads with prices on the kitties? You might call a few of them anyway. A lot of people don't say "free" any more because of lowlife people using free animals to train pit bulls and such. Quite often, the animal actually will be free to a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I don't know, Roxan. Catfish didn't growl and hiss at Sneezy. He just pounced on her. She smacked him a good one for it, too. They got along very well together, though I think he was a little jealous when we played with her mouse. He was much older, and not that interested in the mouse. She's grown out of it now, too. She's a great fly catcher, though. There was one in here bugging me last night, and she took it out in about five minutes.

    Don't count on my being here all the time, Leary. This blog is now on a "catch as catch can" basis. Do keep your ears and eyes open for a kitty, please. I may have found one in midtown through Craigslist. We'll see if the guy calls me back.

    Hey Steve. It would be great to see some pictures of them.

    Huh. I'll keep that in mind, SJ. For some of the prices, I think the cats were exotic breeds. I'm not looking for anything exotic. I'm not an exotic kind of person and they sound to me like they need a lot of pampering. My cats have to be willing to get in the car and take a road trip, just like a dog. No pussy cats for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck finding a new pal for Sneezy. I hope you find one soon, and the healing power of a new little one in the house helps all of you feel better soon. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:50 PM

    A girl I know in South haven took possession of an abandon house and it had 18 kittys in it. She like us is an animal lover so she couldn't take them to the pound or have them picked up, so she is feeding them at the house. There are 18 so I will ask if there is some black ones. She says they are all friendly and many in the neighborhood have already adopted. Good luck. Love does mend till it heals. How could someone just leave those babies, breaks my heart. Writeortalk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Aaron. I hope all of me feels better soon, too.

    Hey WriteorTalk. Did you pass on the bird info? I really hoped it could help Chuckles. He's an awesome bird. "Bye, sugar. Y'all come back now, ya hear?" "Giddy up giddy up giddy up go ..." Cracked me up every time. That is one smart bird. Anyway ... I will appreciate you checking about a kitty for me, but I really do not want a full grown cat. Sneezy is a small cat, and she's not in good health anymore. I want something small she can nurture and play with, not one she'll feel intimidated by.

    I don't know how anyone can abandon defenseless animals. I guess it explains why Mississippi is the ONLY state in the country with NO LAWS TO PROTECT DOMESTIC ANIMALS. Shoot a cow here, and you'll go to jail. Shoot a dog or a cat, and nothing will happen. Our governor, senators, and state reps should hide their heads in SHAME. Sometimes I'm just f**king embarrassed to be Southern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, I've never had to deal with this. I prefer pets like hamsters or (lately) bearded dragons, which, on the whole, detest members of their own species. They seem to get along with me.

    By the way, I tried to reply to your Email, but the Earthlink address bounced. Is it closed?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bearded dragons! (I won't even mention my fetish for beards.) What do they eat?

    My email account is not closed. Please don't mention that address here. It's not for the general public to have. I'll send you another mail and let's try again. I can't imagine what the problem is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whatever the problem was, it seems to have gone now.

    Dragons eat crickets, mealworms, locusts and all manner of crawly things - and if it doesn't move, he won't eat it. He's supposed to eat salad leaves too, but you'd be surprised at just how tight a lizard can clamp his mouth if he doesn't want something.

    You'd also be amazed at how fast he can be on your shoulder if you reach into his tank for something!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You'd also be amazed at how fast he can be on your shoulder if you reach into his tank for something!

    *Shiver* I can so totally visualize that - except I'm seeing a large winged creature with a scorched beard. He has my complete empathy on the salad greens. I do the same thing when someone tries to get me to eat cooked spinach. What is your baby's name, anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  13. He's called Stumpy, because he lost a fair chunk of tail to a litter-mate when he was young. No wings, and no fire. The beard is made of spikes and he flares it up when he's annoyed. He also opens his mouth wide, which isn't so threatening because bearded dragons have tiny teeth.

    I'll have to persuade him to let me take a photo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you find the perfect kitty. I didn't want to get another dog when mine died, but I am glad I did. It was a way to express the love I had for my pet. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome and appreciated, but spam and phishing are not. Comments containing links will not be approved.